Search This Blog

Friday, October 29, 2021

Keel Timber

 Keel Timber 


I guess it’s keel support timber as the keel is a steel plate. I'm sure there is more nautical term for them. These timbers will support the keel inside the boat.
There is 5 of them starting at frame D1 and running aft.
Several builders have installed them on the jig/strong back to assist in locating frames. Then when the boat is flipped completed the final install. 
 
There is a lot of talk of keel timber online, what you should and shouldn't use for wood species, laminated vs solid.
The keel timber is 60mm Wide x 70mm Deep x 600mm long (2.36x2.75x23.62")for the longest one between frame B and C

To go from 1" planks to 2.75" I will be lamenting them together. I haven't figured out if I'm pre-cutting them to shape or laminating them in 2' sections then cutting to shape. TBD.
For the lamination method, I'm going to use the West System Instructions. Chapter 11
https://www.westsystem.com/the-gougeon-brothers-on-boat-construction/



Greg M suggested I read some articles on issues with bonding hardwoods, there is a lot there and its not as easy as picking the hardest or most rot-resistant
https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php/epoxy-with-oak/

WestSystem tech support recommend their GFlex 650 product for these this type of bonding.

 As usual, the guys at Westwind lumber have options for me just got to figure out the best one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Keel Steel

 5/8 16mm for vertical part. 3/8 9.25mm for horizontal  Had parts laser cut by Precision Laser & Fab Inc Saskatoon.